Board of Commissioners
According to the 2000 U.S. census, the county population was 7,609. The population showed a 22.5 percent increase between 1990 and 2000, largely because of the number of Hispanics who moved into the county to work in the mobile home industry and in agriculture.
The region was originally inhabited by Creek Indians, who forged a trail through the southern part of the area that was later used by traders between the Flint River and the coastal town of St. Marys. This trail was known as the Kinnaird Trail for a trading post managed by Jack Kinnaird at its western limit. It was along the Kinnaird Trail that the first white settlers traveled from middle Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina, arriving after the Revolutionary War. The Brunswick and Albany Railroad laid its track along portions of the trail after the Civil War, reaching Pearson, named in honor of Benjah Pearson (1811-1885), the county seat, by the 1870s.
Atkinson County, Georgia's 153rd county, covers an area of 338 square miles and was carved from portions of Clinch and Coffee Counties by the state legislature in 1917. The south central Georgia county was named for William Y. Atkinson, speaker of the state House of Representatives and Georgia's Governor in the late 1880s.
E-Verify atkinsonga.org ID Number: 119718
SITE UPDATED: 05/06/2013 20:00 HOURS
Atkinson County 2013
WELCOME TO OUR WEBSITE